Game of the Decade (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 08, 2019, 20:25 (1653 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If we're talking influence, is Destiny on that list? It certainly feels like it started the modern looter shooter trend, at least in regards to making them a game-as-service. But maybe that's not true, and Destiny just happened to be first and it was an inevitable evolution of games.

I'd certainly put The Witcher 3 in contention.

Is GTA V on the list based on copies sold alone?

Mass Effect 2 was released in 2010. Merits a mention, at the very least.

Skyrim probably deserves to be in the conversation, at least.

Wouldn't make my list, but Telltale's games are probably in the debate somewhere. I'd champion Life is Strange, but if we're talking influential, I think there's a pretty direct connection from The Walking Dead to Life is Strange.

I'd certainly put Dark Souls on the list. Bloodborne is certainly a better game, but Dark Souls felt like the beginning of that whole thing in the mainstream. Bloodborne is of such high quality that it might deserve the nod, as it feels like the perfection of that formula.

Not on my list, but The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

I'd certainly have to talk about God of War. It's just a video game ass video game that doesn't do anything particularly groundbreaking, but it's of such an extremely high quality in literally every way that it's worth mentioning. Likewise for Horizon: Zero Dawn, but that game isn't quite as good looking back at it--it's a lot easier to pick apart than God of War, I think.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread