Game of the Decade (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 09, 2019, 18:47 (1684 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Ragashingo, Monday, September 09, 2019, 18:52

A few quick contenders, off the top of my head:

• God of War - Easily a “Best Game of All Time” contender in my books, so it makes a Game if the Decade list without breaking a sweat.

I was looking for something else and came back across this. Your review was great and the entire thread was a fun read.

• Horizon Zero Dawn - For me, HZD is to world building what TLoU is to character development.

I was going to include this one, but I think it was actually overhyped to me. I loved all sorts of parts of it but I tend to rank it just a bit lower than some other stuff.

• Halo Reach - The ultimate Halo game, in my eyes. Pretty much everything I loved about the franchise, executed better and/or taken farther than ever before, then put into 1 awesome game.

Yes. I'm really excited to see how this looks and plays when it comes out soon(?).

• Destiny - It’s a sloppy hot mess of a game in certain ways (probably the furthest from “perfect” out of all the games on this list) and yet it’s utterly unique, filled with brilliant moments, and a fantastic collection of activities. It’s my “Cheers”, or my “weekly poker game with the guys... (that I go to almost every night...)

Yep. Destiny is a strange beast that seems to routinely fail in different ways each time but the whole thing has an odd staying power that is now even being recognized by other studios as a game to beat. Go read the otaku report on Anthem, for instance, where that team tried so hard to not be Destiny when what they need to be was Destiny that I'm not sure Anthem will survive the end of this year.

• GTA V - In many ways, I don’t like this game at all. But the incredible scope and of the things you can do will occasionally lead to moments I couldn’t believe I was experiencing.

GTA V and IV are this to me. I don't like most of the stories. I don't like the player characters. I'd love to have a more traditional less messed up character to play as... but both games and their engines and, like you said, the seemingly endless possibilities just kinda boggles my mind.

• Journey/Limbo/Ori and the Blind Forest - They’re all smaller games, but they’re all jaw-droppingly beautiful in their own ways.

Did you ever try Child of Light? It may be a bit too far out of genre, but I thought it was a splendid, beautiful, smaller scale game that ended up being a lot of fun.

Oh... and speaking of Tomb Raider (2013) and it getting a 2nd live action movie... I wonder why neither of us listed it despite really enjoying it?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread