Consensus (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 12, 2019, 13:29 (1650 days ago) @ Kermit

My favorite observation about the Last of Us is from Tim Rogers. In his review he wrote:

The Last if Us is full of moments a film editor would cut out.

It’s true! Stories just work totally differently in games vs TV / Film, even though they share the same visual language.

I love that quote, too, and it's true! It's easy to miss one of the most impressive parts of the game, which are the optional conversations. They show perfectly how Joel and Ellie's relationship changes. They even adjusted the body language animations as the relationship changed.

This is one of my favorite videos about TLoU, and it speaks to how these little things (that might be cut from a movie) add up.

A moment that got me:

You find a movie poster for teen warewolf or whatever it was. Basically a twilight parody. But Elle starts asking about it, and Joel responds by telling her all about it. She doesn’t understand the appeal or why anyone would watch it, but Joel keeps talking about it. Ellie then asks how Joel, a grown ass man knows so much about teen Warewolf, to which he kind of gets embarrassed and goes silent. Then I remembered: he knew so much about it because his daughter had the same poster in her room in the beginning. You could just feel the emotion he was holding back in not answering.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread