Game of the Decade (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 09, 2019, 09:22 (1653 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So the 2010s are coming to a close! Time flies.

So what's the game of the decade?

How do you measure this? Is the the best game? The most influential? I don't quite know what to pick just yet. But I do know I have a few contenders:

Dark Souls
Night in the Woods
The Last of Us
Life is Strange
Nier Automata

Yeah, Vanquish is really fucking good but sometimes being 'amazeballs' isn't enough to be the game of the decade. So I've narrowed it down to these five.

Maybe Fortnite could be #6, but that'd be like Hitler winning Time's Man of the year in 1938. Technically correct, but he wasn't the best…

Add your thoughts because I'm sure I haven't tried or researched everything.

This is a predictable response from me, but the Last of Us wins simply because it finally presented believable and compelling characters to tell a meaningful, emotionally impactful story in an action video game. Other games came close. Marathon has interesting ideas, Halo had its moments, heck--Gears of War 3 choked me up, but TLoU nailed everything. The action provided tension, which underscored the tension felt by the characters. It all worked. I've been waiting for such a game to exist ever since games had characters and story, and I never thought it would be set in a zombie apocalypse. Not my favorite genre, but it's that good. Maybe we should wait for TLoU Part II? It might be The Godfather Part II of video games. It could happen if they prioritize story and characters.

Many other games that people are mentioning I might consider contenders once I play them (Hellblade, God of War), but I'd be surprised if The Last of Us is unseated.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread