+1, and something Bungie could really learn from. (Gaming)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 12:23 (1650 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Buckle up kids, because we're going on a tangent:

I've felt for a long time that Bungie lost their ability to make a cohesive world and story (and hence achieve that same kind of connection to fleshed-out characters that's felt in TLoU) between ODST/Reach and D1. I think it's largely because Destiny still doesn't seem to know what it is besides a post-Apocalyptic mystery with a bunch of cool parts loosely stitched together. The lack of real connective tissue between doses of episodic content is a huge part of this.

I'm still here, I'm at a point where I love the IP more than I ever have; but that still remains a very glaring hole in the fabric of the Destiny experience.

The sibling bond between Uldren and Mara, the weird "monster"/human bond between Rasputin and Ana, whatever creepy star-crossed vibe there is between the Emissary and the Drifter, the emotional impact of losing the Speaker (whom other characters barely speak of, and whose existence ultimately felt entirely pointless); all of these strain for emotional credibility. I'll say that Ikora's dialogue about Cayde in Forsaken was probably some of the only stuff in the entire game that got me in the heart.

And even these things wouldn't feel so glaring, remaining as they are, if we got future content that sewed them all together. It would be something if we got some major plot points that weave Rasputin back into the overall plot (without the hamfisted exposition). Or brought Osiris' manipulation of the Infinite Forest back into play. Or any number of other elements to the overall story, which it seems is possible given what's in store in New Light.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread