Game of the Decade (Gaming)

by Avateur @, Thursday, September 12, 2019, 21:13 (1649 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Mass Effect 3 - Ok... the ending sucked, but everything else about this game was great. The gameplay was better than ever. The graphics were great. And the way it handled story and characters was special, even when talking about the other games in this list. Mass Effect 3 took full advantage of being the third game in a series that told you it was going to take your choices into account. There are so many great, optional encounters that you may never even see, but all of which are affected by what you did in Mass Effect 1 and 2. There's also a great sense of familiarity and sometimes even playfulness in that the writers knew their audience and knew that their audience probably played through the previous two games. They weren't afraid to reference things silly and serious that happened in the past games and some of the moments, both silly and serious, are surprisingly touching because they relate to things you choose in previous games. It was also a game that fulfilled its promise to make your choices matter. Certain best case outcomes really did require you do the right key things the previous titles. Very few games can actually make that claim.

I pondered on this one for a bit, and I wonder what would have happened if they had stuck the landing. The ending really tarnished so much. I love everything but the ending in ME3. But at the same time, ME2 was just so much better as a whole. I can’t give it game of the decade. And although it’s not ME3’s fault, Andromeda was a major letdown. The series sorta just died. It’s really unfortunate, because it was such a wonderful universe. It’ll be fun to revisit in the future.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread