Consensus (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 10, 2019, 13:58 (1652 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Unpopular opinion: For however well put together the game was, my issue was with it never getting me to care due to not feeling like it was offering anything interesting to me, just something repackaged that has been handled elsewhere. Noting that isn’t inherently a mark against the game. Obvious it did well with a lot of people. I’ve spoken to other people who were equally ungripped, however.

But the mechanical structure also didn’t do much to keep me either.

99% of great art has been handled elsewhere. Originality is overrated. This reminds me of when I outlined the story to a non-gamer friend who was also a big fan of The Walking Dead (TV series). At a certain point he just started nodding knowingly. This may be what you mean. What can I say? Five minutes of the Walking Dead was enough for me--I'll never watch that show--I found it two disturbing. Yet I've never cared more about video game characters than I have for Joel and Ellie. I've never had video game characters so completely convince me that they were alive. So maybe because of that I'm grading on a curve, but of games I've played I think it reached a new milestone regarding what games can do.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread