Consensus (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 12, 2019, 08:10 (1650 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

And that is fair. I didn’t give The Walking Dead show a chance because the comic quickly butchered its own potential. I haven’t even read all of the comic that I own. And it did a lot of things that were novel and interesting. I honestly haven’t been able to sort why TLoU doesn’t press my buzzer and get my attention.

I think a game like TLoU lives or dies by your connection (or lack of connection) to the characters.

To Kermit’s point, there’s nothing inherently original about watching people deal with the kinds of things that the characters in TLoU deal with. But what makes it so special for me, and I think for many others, is that the portrayal of the characters is so exceptionally fleshed out that they feel real and alive, and because of that, their pain, hope, terror, heartbreak, and joy feel equally real.

But none of that would come across if, for any reason, the you don’t bond with the characters.

And speaking for myself, the game had me in the first 20 minutes. Once a game proves it can break your heart that quickly, you're motivated to hang on for the ride. Maybe I'm a softie.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread