I don't think it's quite that bleak (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, December 03, 2014, 17:11 (3606 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Instead of just ignoring or laughing at Cody Miller's insulting and condemning tones, it now turns into a pressure and an anxiety. I feel responsibility for the forum, so I have a hard time letting it go and I've run out of ways to politely tell him and a few others to play nice.

I'm pretty sure I make a lot of positive contributions here, and generally a lot of my posts are about fun things in this game. I'm sorry you feel pressure when it comes to me, but I'm not going to change just because of that. This is part of the job as a moderator man. Do I add more than I take away? If not, then you have the power to get rid of me.

I may have said some things that were not appropriate or encouraging to you in the past, and if that stuff really affected you in such a negative way then I am extra sorry.

I appreciate the apology. After all the years of reading your words and debating with you, it's really hard to keep an open mind to your posts. You've conditioned my brain to tag you as an antagonist, but I have a theory that in real life you're probably a really nice guy. Here on the boards though, and from a moderator perspective, you straddle the line between insightful and inciting, which is probably where the stress comes in. If you were a complete jerk I could ban you and it'd be easy, stress-free. :)

I admit every once in a while I see some clearly positive things from you, but it truly does feel rare or wrapped in a snide remark like it's a blessing you still play the game. For example, moments ago you wrote:

Interesting you react this way, when it's just been revealed the game design for the expansion is openly hostile to players, and to fun.

Do you see how that can come off as insulting? You take somebody's positive comment, make it seem like it's surprising they actually like something, and then say, as if it's some decree set down, that the game is "hostile... to fun." That's just so ridiculous and absurd... I don't even know how to respond to it! That's not a critique - that's troll language. That's the start of a flame. It does not lead to pleasant conversation. It either starts hostile arguments or drives people away.

That's not fun to read, in my moderator role, or in my role as a forum user.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread