If at first you grind, grind again. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 05, 2014, 13:01 (3460 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, December 05, 2014, 13:04

The flipside to that is: might it be unrealistic to be upset that a game isn't as fun after hundreds of hours as when we first started? Isn't it reasonable to not expect anything to provide us with continual glee every day for months and months... except perhaps a romantic partner? And even then... I mean even that doesn't sound very realistic, hah.

I agree 100%, which is why Bungie's idea of creating a game players will want to play everyday is misguided. You should design your game with zero filler, and put in as much fun as as your budget and schedule allows. Then, however long it lasts is how long it lasts.

I've played wonderful games I've only put 10 hours into (some even less) - games better than Destiny. The Last of Us is a really great game. Top 100 of all time for sure. I won't be playing it everyday, or even going forward except for when I want a nostaglic play through though. Is that a failing? NO. Having a player put down your game after completing / mastering it is not a sign your game is bad! There is nothing wrong with that. As long as the journey is super fun, challenging, and interesting then you've done well.

Further, I would actually argue that the best types of games are the ones you can 'finish'. Open ended games with no explicit complete victory condition like Destiny are at a disadvantage.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread