You're not the only one. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 16, 2017, 15:03 (2396 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, October 16, 2017, 15:11

Ironic you talk about respect, linking to a post where Miguel says my thinking is so backwards it’s not even worth acknowledging.

Indeed.

And you proved immediately you didn't listen to him then, and you're not listening to him now. Nor are you listening to me.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.

~M

Why would I listen to this?

It's why my posts in the past year to him rarely actually engaged with anything he posited - By acknowledging such backwards thinking was, even if in disagreement, giving him validation. I refused to do that. I won't talk to a flat-earther - there's no point.

He's openly saying because he doesn't share my views, I'm not worthy of consideration. That's… well that's a lack of respect. Even worse comparing my views to that of a conspiracy theorist, when they are nowhere near as damaging or intellectually dishonest. It doesn't bother me that he says this, or that he doesn't give me respect, because I can defend myself well enough, but I will never ever dismiss someone here simply because their viewpoint is different. I even try to understand opposing viewpoints!

His attitude is actually counter towards progress. You can't change the minds of 9/11 truthers, mysoginists, or racists etc if you brush them off as beneath you. They are human beings who believe what they believe for a reason. Understanding that reason and seeing them as a someone that deserves dignity because of their personhood is a much easier way to go.

I feel like I'm doing a better job on the forums now than I did many years ago. That had to do with people actually talking to me openly in a 'real' way; not because of Mig brushing me off.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread