You're not the only one. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 07:51 (2395 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.

~M

You know how much I love ya Mal, and Mig too. Truly. But that thread, IMHO, is not a good example to point to if you want to draw attention to Mig's wisdom or insights.

I completely agree. But I point specifically to that post by Mig because it mirrors my own feelings about a number of things around here; and it shows that even someone as patient, dedicated, big-hearted and open-minded as Mig can be worn down to a point that they'd rather leave than deal with it any longer. I think we'd do well to remember the factors that led him to that point, and any parties involved ought to consider their own part in it.

I want to stress the fact that I'm not saying that Mig didn't make any valid points in that thread. Because he absolutely did. But after re-reading that entire thread a couple days ago, I feel now the way i felt then. Mig conducted himself atrociously in that thread. Some of those who know him well were quick to try to extract the valid points that Mig was making, while filtering out the vitriol. Kermit and Claude in particular made several wonderful, thoughtful, insightful posts. And they did so clearly, elegantly, and respectfully. But as I pointed out then, I do believe that there was a bit of a "turning a blind eye" going on with regards to the combative and condescending nature of Mig's words. By which I mean, if just about anyone else had made a post like that, the rest of DBO would have swung against it even harder than many here reacted. And for those of us who were posting regularly back then, there is also the memory that the forum had actually been overall quite chipper and friendly for at least a few weeks there, with the exception of 1 other thread that spiraled out of control due to another insulting and condescending post from Mig.

Again, I don't disagree where you come out on this. But it was a long time coming for him. And he even pointed out that he realized he was burning up the last of what goodwill he had earned here in writing that post and flipping the table, as it were. I still think he was way more justified than not.

Again, I say all of this as someone who has nothing but love and respect for you, as well as Mig. And I really don't want to drag all that stuff back out into another shit-show. I once joked with Claude that DBO is a bit like an old married couple, with long memories and lots of unsettled arguments that go deep :) And I'm not discounting or contradicting the point you are making to Cody. I just think that of all the ways that certain problems around here could be addressed, that particular series of posts from Mig was possibly the worst conceivable way to try and solve things. <3

I appreciate your words, and I take zero offense to anything you've said here. I got nothing but love for you, man. I appreciate that we have differing views, and I feel the same way about dredging up old squabbles.

~M

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread