Double Des2ny Reviews (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 10:15 (2395 days ago) @ Malagate

He says the violence is a negative, because he best way for a guy to atone for his violent past and massacre of native Americans is to run around murdering police officers brutally in Columbia.

No, the way to "atone" (I don't feel atonement was really possible) was to cease to be. Hence the permanent baptism. On its surface, that quest for redemption was an impossible task. The violence only cements that reality, and subsequent fate.

~M

Cody is correct about my reasoning. Perhaps it's my worldview and convictions coming in here, but I don't think atoning for the crap we bring into this world is ever possible. I just don't think there are cosmic ledgers that operate that way (not saying that we shouldn't do good with our lives). However, I do believe people can own their crap, reflect on mistakes and do better. There are ways to interact in the world that can transform brokenness, but I don't think doing good things erases bad things in that sense of atonement. In his case, the continued violence led him to the point he could change the fates. It's been a while, but I don't think he could have gotten there without murdering a bunch of people. This rubs at my worldview.

Again, these are my own convictions and perhaps that got in the way of the artistic story you saw presented.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread