Lets explore Bioshock Infinite a bit more :) (Destiny)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 10:55 (2394 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

He says the violence is a negative, because the best way for a guy to atone for his violent past and massacre of native Americans is to run around murdering police officers brutally in Columbia.

No, the way to "atone" (I don't feel atonement was really possible) was to cease to be. Hence the permanent baptism. On its surface, that quest for redemption was an impossible task. The violence only cements that reality, and subsequent fate.

~M

Perhaps it's my worldview and convictions coming in here, but I don't think atoning for the crap we bring into this world is ever possible. I just don't think there are cosmic ledgers that operate that way (not saying that we shouldn't do good with our lives). However, I do believe people can own their crap, reflect on mistakes and do better. There are ways to interact in the world that can transform brokenness, but I don't think doing good things erases bad things in that sense of atonement. In his case, the continued violence led him to the point he could change the fates. It's been a while, but I don't think he could have gotten there without murdering a bunch of people. This rubs at my worldview.

Again, these are my own convictions and perhaps that got in the way of the artistic story you saw presented.

Sure, our worldviews often color our interpretation of art. (This is why is hard/impossible to objectively say art is good or bad) What we should strive to do is view art through whatever worldview it's being presented in, and later reflect back on it through our own lenses.

Booker's main motivation (atonement) is not of his violent past, but his selling of Ana. Which means that while in Columbia, his violent means justify the end (in his world-view). Once all the pieces are in place:

Booker's desire to undo the pain he caused his daughter, Elizabeth (at this point it's not made clear how he feels about his violent actions). He is atoning for both his sins as Booker and as Comstock by allowing himself to be killed at the baptism, rather than being born into either future version of his self.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread