Lets explore Bioshock Infinite a bit more :) (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 13:05 (2395 days ago) @ Malagate

Totally fair analysis and I appreciate your post!

This is where my worldview rubs it. Part of me was Booker and I didn't enjoy being along for that ride. There are more things determined in our lives than we often think. Social circumstances, ecological systems, habits of behavior, our own previous life choices (like war-crimes) all constrict or open-up certain outcomes and behaviors. Our free will, while I believe it exists, is much more limited than popular rhetoric espouses. However, I don't want to believe that anyone is beyond choosing an alternate path at any given point. Again, this is me. I want to believe that we have to deal with the past, but we aren't fully determined by it. Overly-deterministic paths in games rub up against this because I confuse the choices I hope to make with the ones the characters are set out to make. Literature doesn't suffer this disconnect for me because I'm not the character. Eh, this could go on for a while. In any case, I appreciated what the game was going for, but I felt like the story could have been told better in a different genre/medium. Good conversation though!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread