Pretty close to how I see it. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 00:56 (2388 days ago) @ Kermit

Note that when I mention abolitionists and civil rights advocates, I'm not just talking about those who were minorities. I certainly believe that the success of the 1960s civil rights movement owes a great debt to MLK's religious appeal to a mostly religious country. Successful non-violent revolutions depend on those with power having a conscience. I have to ask, based on your post, what is the other side of the non-violent revolution coin? I'm really having trouble parsing this sentence: "That just makes your minorities bloodthirsty savages." I don't know what "that" or "your minorities" refers to. The Vox uprising in the game is an amalgam--there are obvious similarities to Nat Turner's rebellion and to the Boshevik revolution, both of which were pretty freaking bloody.

The Vox and Founders do not have a master slave relationship, so Nat Turner is irrelevant. It completely parallels the situation of blacks in the USA in the mid century, so Boshevik is irrelevant. I mean dude, the game is drenched with historical Americana and notions of white superiority.

But it ignores the reality of how the civil rights movement in America was actually won. The way the Vox behaved… perhaps the founders were right to oppress them. That's what's uncomfortable. The game cops out by saying both sides are equally bad. That's a chickenshit way to make a game that aspires to great ideas.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread