Put it in perspective (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 17:34 (3307 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Imagine you went and bought Halo, but there was a multiplayer map that only unlocked as a random reward when playing multiplayer. You'd be annoyed no? I bought the game, why cant I play on the map?

Imagine you went and bought the Last of Us, but could only make nail bombs after getting instructions off a random drop from an enemy. Wouldn't that suck? The game is set up so that they are important items, and useful to progress. So why would I be locked out?

Imagine you were playing Beyond Two Souls or Heavy Rain or something, and you could only take certain story branches leading to the 'best' ending if a random event occurred during the course of the story. Would you not be bummed or frustrated?

What if you couldn't pick up the covenant carbine unless you were granted the ability from an extremely rare drop? Sucks?

So why is it normal, and encouraged for Exotic weapons like Hawkmoon, which are fantastically useful and a part of the game, to be locked away behind RNG? I bought the game, why can't I play with all its elements? How is that any different than any of the above scenarios?

Don't tell me that's just how MMOs work, because MMO is an objectively, demonstrably bad genre. Why aren't we past this?

It's fucking stupid, and I'm really bitter that I can't play with this gun until the fall simply because of random numbers.

My solution that would be minimally intrusive: if you roll an exotic, don't give out one that is already on the account (or weigh them much more heavily). Check, and give a new drop that the account doesn't have. I don't need 8 No Land Beyonds. Wow, so hard.

Now imagine you bought a game where there was a weapon that was exclusive to a console and you didn't have that console. It would suck wouldn't it?

At least you have the chance to get what you want. Most of us don't even get a chance.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread