Put it in perspective (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 22:08 (3307 days ago) @ stabbim

I'd find that interesting. It'd be a lot like life, actually.

I hear this said a lot in various gaming debates, and I'm absolutely baffled as to why we should accept things simply because they're more like real life. Life isn't fair, true - but why does it necessarily follow that games shouldn't be?

I tend to agree when it comes to mechanics, but his example I suspect I'd find intriguing in part because I've never played a game that really had a random element that dramatically affected the story.

I'm not saying that every game should be a regimented balance-fest. Randomness can be fun. Randomness in encounter setups, enemy behavior, world events, and so on. Hooray for chaos! It's just that every time I see "it's more realistic" trotted out as a defense of unbalanced mechanics, I have to ask WHY that is ok as a justification.

Are we sure we can get it in the fall? Do we know that it will go on sale?

No, of course not. I'm pretty sure Cody just meant that fall is the earliest it feasibly COULD go on sale, not that it necessarily WILL. Which is... sort of worse actually.

Well, I kind of like that there are some weapons that are truly rare.

Aren't there some items other than the exclusives that haven't gone on sale?

Well, yeah probably. I don't see how that's relevant, though, since any of those COULD go on sale at any time. Hawkmoon won't, at least until the exclusivity period is up.

My larger point was about the effect of them going on sale frequently. We don't value them as much.

Okay. Maybe they could tweak the formula, but the result would be that exotics would be less exotic.

In rarity, not in function.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I don't relate to the angst. The game is still fun for you. You have a large number of "useful" weapons.

I don't have many truly good weapons on the PS4, yet I certainly don't have less fun on that platform. I don't have the Suros Regime at all, and I really want it just because I think it's the coolest looking gun in the game (and still a "useful" auto rifle), but if I never get it? Que sera sera. My panties remain unbunched.

Here's perspective: you have more stuff than most of the people who play the game will ever have. You're probably in a small percentile regarding Raid play. Not having this one gun out of all that content makes you feel ripped off. Odd.

All absolutely true, and yet I don't see any of it as proving that the current RNG system isn't lame. It's great that your panties are still on straight, and good for you. But the question here is, would we be having more fun if we could just use whatever weapon we wanted? I'm not sure the answer is no.

And I guess where I differ is that I'm not sure the answer is yes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread