Ding ding ding! (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 19:44 (3307 days ago) @ Kermit

To me, Destiny is like Halo, except you get the occasional reward for playing.

I don't think it's accurate to refer to loot in Destiny as rewards... not exactly. Getting Gjallarhorn after a nightfall might feel like a nice reward in the moment, but the weapon itself is a tool. It is something you can use, with unique abilities. Achievements/trophies are rewards, loot is actual gameplay content. Not to dismiss the point you're making, but I do feel there is an important distinction here.

To the extent that a few weapons are game changers I concede the point, but the game was fun before I got those weapons. I had this thought the other night when I killed Draksis is about ten seconds with Ghallerhorn. That was cool, but a little disappointing. Was it more fun than when I could barely kill him and had to run around that room to keep him from killing me? Not really.

If all the exotics were seen as aspects of the game rather than rewards, and available by means other than RNG, then Bungie could design bosses that are challenging even if you have Gjallarhorn, because they could expect all players to have it as part of their arsenal and design the encounter around this fact. Right now if your entire fireteam has Gjallarhorn, it's easy city.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread