I have no real answers. I'm just some guy. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 18:53 (3307 days ago) @ Claude Errera

'Everyone else'?

Are we still talking about Hawkmoon? I doubt 5% of the population has one. (And I mean the PS4 population - add in the Xbox population, and the numbers go even lower.)

I'm sure you're right in the grand scheme of things, but when you're playing with a group of ultra hardcore fans who sink hundreds of hours into the game, it can feel like everyone has the 1 weapon you are missing. I actually joked that we should all equip our Hawkmoons next time we run a raid with Cody just to troll him, which is

a) totally mean and I'm glad we didn't do it,

but

b) it's actually possible because pretty much all of us who run late-night raids together on the PS4 do have Hawkmoon... except for Cody ;p

The thing we all need to remember though is that none of us have EVERYTHING (I don't think). We all have some elusive piece of gear we're still chasing. Even if it's just more of a weapon we already have. I get jealous when I see someone getting their 5th Gjallarhorn from a nightfall, because I still *only* have 1 ;p

If the game worked the way Cody wants it to work, I might have stopped playing PvE at this point - I play it now because it's a fun way to get (and level up) new weapons, but if I could just take whatever caught my eye, I'd skip it and spend all my time in PvP.

And that would be a loss, for me. I'm happy that's not the case.

But would that really be a loss? If PvP is what you enjoy more, wouldn't it be better to just spend your time doing that?

I have lots of little nitpicky complaints about Destiny, and the vast majority of them all boil down to the fact that Destiny constantly forces me to choose between doing the stuff I want to do for fun, and the stuff I need to do to progress.

Let's say I'm in the mood to jump into the ROC Strike playlist for a while. I sign in and hit the tower to collect some bounties. Maybe there are 2 story mission bounties, a patrol bounty, a public event bounty, collect whatsamacallits from the cosmodrome bounty, and a fusion rifle bounty. Well crap. Looks like I'm not doing the strike playlist today after all.

Of course, I could just forget about the bounties and play the strike playlist. But then I'm missing out on thousands of XP points to put towards upgrading my gear. I can either have fun or be productive. I think Destiny would be better if it didn't put the player in these kinds of positions.

Getting back to Cody's point, if I could choose to complete a specific task to earn a specific weapon, I could then spend my time enjoying my new weapon and playing the game in whatever way I want, rather than focusing on only doing activities that provide a slim chance of dropping the weapons I still want. I'm playing the game either way... 1 option is just more enjoyable than the other :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread