I knew DogCow's 3rd Hawkmoon would break you... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 17:42 (3307 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Joking aside, I think you're right. The lack of direct ways to earn the gear you want is a problem, and it becomes more apparent the longer you play (and the more gear you accumulate).

I would love to hear more from Bungie on this subject. When they've addressed the nature of RNG in the past, I've been a bit confused by their stance and intentions. I think it was during a GDC talk where someone from Bungie said something to the effect of "we didn't expect RNG to be such a big deal... We thought people would just buy the gear they wanted, with the RNG adding a little bonus on top".

But... Wouldn't that only make sense if all the gear was available to buy? When you take the best gear in the game and hide it behind an RNG barrier, OF COURSE it will be a big deal.

Bungie's design intentions behind Exotic Gear also play a big part in this. They've more recently talked about the desire to create exotics that are more "unique" than they are "powerful". Weapons like No Land Beyond or Necrochasm that are only useful within a specific playstyle in specific scenarios. If this were the case with ALL exotics, then the idea of keeping them locked behind RNG is not as bad (still bad, IMO, just not as much). But not all exotics follow this philosophy. Some are clearly, definitively more powerful than any other weapons in the game. How could Bungie expect us to focus on buying vendor gear when weapons like Gjallarhorn and Hawkmoon are floating around out there?

I feel like we're missing part of the equation here.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread