Just to clarify (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 10, 2015, 13:33 (3306 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I was just re-reading this, and I wanted to clarify the point I was trying to make since it looks like it didn't come across :)

I like cookies more than I like spinach. Your argument would be that it would be better if I just spent my time eating cookies. That's obviously wrong, and you would never actually MAKE that argument (about food) - and yet you're making it here.

That's not actually the argument I'm trying to make at all (although mmmmmmmmm cookies ;p)

I'm not saying you should only ever play PvP. I'm also going to avoid running with the PvP vs PvE comparison since there are separate bounties for both which makes my point a bit foggier. Sticking with your analogy: I love cookies, and I enjoy eating spinach from time to time as well. But if I sit down at 10pm to relax, have a cup of tea, and I say to myself "a cookie sure would be nice right now", I don't want someone to intervene and say "actually, you're going to have some spinach right now". But that's exactly what Destiny does, IF the player cares about making progress with their gear (as I do).

Sometimes what I want in the moment and what I want overall are at odds - and I'm glad that there are systems in place to keep me from letting my id make all the choices. :)

I would probably feel the same way, IF I thought there were some intentional design at work with the selection of bounties each day. But more often than not, I go to the tower to grab bounties and say to myself "really? The Archive, AGAIN? That's the 5th time this week!".

On that note, I did have some great luck with complimentary bounties a few days ago, and it was AWESOME. I was working on 5 or 6 bounties that all could or must be done in patrol mode. It made Patrol 10 times more fun than usual, because I had so many goals to work towards and juggle. I was hunting blades of Crota, while looking for public events, while completing patrol missions, while getting fusion rifle double kills and generating orbs of light.

That was a great case of bounties compelling me to do an activity I wouldn't normally do, and I ended up having a great time. I'd love to see combinations of bounties like that more often :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread