Not even close to reasonable. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, April 10, 2015, 04:30 (3306 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Imagine you went and bought Halo, but there was a multiplayer map that only unlocked as a random reward when playing multiplayer. You'd be annoyed no? I bought the game, why cant I play on the map?

A map is not a gun. Not even close.

Did you read further down when I asked you to imagine having to unlock the Carbine?

No, I stop when I hit a false assumption.

Why is it okay to withhold one aspect of your game (a weapon) with RNG, but not another (map)?

Because they are not equivalent. Guns do not divide the playerbase. I can play with people who do not have the same guns as me. In fact, I'd say it enhances the game. I can think of nothing less interesting than everyone having the exact same gear, except maybe fantasy meritocracy where only the very best players get the very best gear. It looks to me like Destiny might even be doing something Bungie probably can't admit to-- which is a tiny bit of handicapping. Or else it's just that everyone who dominates in a game and has the bile rise in their throats because the worst player gets a sweet drop makes sure to post a screencap, so I see them more often than they actually happen.

However, if maps were locked (and actually some of them are, as DLC) then you can only play games on those maps with others who have those maps. The DLC paywall is probably enough of a division.

Actually, come to think of it, several areas in Dark Below ARE withheld based on game progress, so again, your assumption is just wrong.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread