Oh, I think you misunderstood. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 19:47 (3307 days ago) @ Funkmon

Some of these are rare, I know, but what I'm trying to say is that you don't NEED the Mythoclast for a solar primary. You can get VoC or Abyss Defiant. I'm just pointing out there are alternatives, and lusting after one gun instead of one of these that can fill the void, in my opinion, is not good.

I think, for some people at least, it's not just about having a solar primary, or a powerful hand cannon, etc. Sometimes there is something about a specific weapon that just jumps out at us and makes us want it. Maybe it's as simple as the way it looks or sounds. That was me with Monte Carlo. I hardly ever use it, but I absolutely adore the aesthetics of the weapon. I was on cloud 9 when I finally got one.

Most dudes take almost as much damage from HoC as Gjallarhorn, so not using it means I take a small damage penalty, but it's not a huge deal for me most of the time,

Gjallarhorn does roughly double the damage of any other rocket launcher against a single target. The only other launcher that comes close is Dragon's Breath, but only against stationary targets (like the shriekers). Against lower level enemies, all rocket launchers feel pretty similar, but against tougher targets Gjallarhorn is lightyears ahead. For example:

Try doing this with Hunger of Crota. It will take about twice as many rockets, if not more. Not to knock HoC or any other rocket launchers... lots of them are great and fun to use. I'm just saying that the difference is more significant than you're making it out to be.

However, at this point, Fatebringer does about as much damage as Word of Crota, TFWPKY, The Chance, and significantly less than Timur's Lash. The first three are broadly comparable, and Timur's Lash can be your custom handcannon with enough motes. Mine has rangefinder, field scout, a reload perk, and a good sight, which is perfect to me.

What Fatebringer has these don't have is arc damage, which, again, can be replaced with other guns, and firefly. Firefly has immense utility killing low level mobs, like thralls. But not more immense than a grenade. There are situations when this is very useful, like normal mode abyss, but I use the icebreaker anyway since it's even better at it.

So, while fatebringer can streamline your strategy, it just means you won't be using your grenades as much.

I think that's really underselling the usefulness of Firefly. The vast majority of PvE encounters are low-level mobs. A high impact weapon like Fatebringer with Firefly can kill multiple enemies with every single pull of the trigger. That's not something that can be replaced by throwing a few more grenades. It redefines your ability to manage crowds.

Now there are plenty of Scout Rifles with Firefly, and they're great. I've just finished upgreading my ANitC with Explosive Rounds and Firefly, and I'm totally in love with it :)

But Fatebringer still has the advantage in close-midrange combat, which is often the range you find yourself in when engaging mobs of low level enemies.

Anyway, it's not that important. It's just people want a gun in a video game.

None of this is actually important, we're all just having fun :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread