Remember Halo 3 (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 22:57 (3307 days ago) @ nico

When, latency allowing, you could play coop levels with friends online? That to me brought a whole new level of fun to Halo, in addition to the kickass multiplayer.

Heck, look at ODST. The most limited Halo release that Bungie put out, and yet it's still the best. The Firefight missions were simple and repetitive by nature, but I could hop into one at any time and have a blast.

To me, Destiny is like Halo, except you get the occasional reward for playing.

A random reward, and that randomness alone should negate anybody having a dependency. Play the game for fun, get something nice sometimes. Win/win!

I can tell you as a former WoW min-maxing raider, the shortest route to becoming disgruntled with a game is to focus on an item, and allow that focus to drive your interest in playing the game.

I have never liked that, and I'm thankful I've never been that kind of person, since I just see it as unnecessary stress. It exists in Destiny too, for some; whether it's the gear stats, or the desire to have 331 weapons instead of 300. The difference is so minimal that you most likely won't notice a single difference, so why suffer undue stress?

You will get the item eventually, and then you'll put the game down, thinking "I'm done now," and you'll run the risk of having missed out on all the great moments getting there.

I totally agree.

I love Destiny, but I have zero desire to play it. It really didn't take me too long (all things considered) to have basically everything in the game (except 4th Horseman and Black Hammer), so I've only played it for fun, but I definitely do feel fatigue set in from everything I do being pretty pointless until HoW. It's weird, I could shard my Hawkmoon for lulz and not miss it, because I can still play the game. There's plenty to fill in that hole, playstyle-wise, so it's not a big deal. Same goes for Gjallarhorn, same goes for Heart of the Praxic Fire. The game is the same, so don't worry about the loot. Having the loot makes you not want to play as much. Once I got the Hawkmoon (the one weapon I wanted since the game came out besides Gjallarhorn and Monte Carlo), I felt like I had beaten the game. Imagine the great stuff I would have missed out with friends, like the insane 3000+ point comeback we made in IB when the enemy was 600 points from victory... All because I simply liked the IB chest for the Hunter. Had it not been for that incentive, I wouldn't have touched Destiny the whole week.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread