I think Bungie dropped the ball... (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 17:54 (3262 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think Bungie needs take this approach and apply it to PvE end content. I've run 6 nightfalls and 3 raids since House of Wolves dropped... not a single piece of Etheric Light. I earned better gear in less time playing Skirmish than I did by completing all 3 nightfalls this week.

The most reliable way to earn Etheric Light is actually in PoE. Everywhere else it's random (as far as I know).

That is the point I was driving at: if I want to upgrade all my gear, I'm going to need a LOT of etheric light. Right now the only way to earn it is through PoE, and I don't enjoy that activity. So to progress, I need to spend an insane amount of time playing an activity I dislike.

You just told me that you have earned more from ToO than PoE. So why is it that you have to gruel your way through PoE? If you have the time, you have a better chance of getting more EL from other things than PoE. You're only guaranteed 1 EL from 34 and 35.

Let us treat Prison of Elders as the occasional diversion that it really is, rather than forcing it into the prime-time spotlight as the primary end game activity.

In my eyes PoE and ToO are both end game content. I understand that you want to compare PoE to a raid in terms of end game content, but you just can't. It's not the same. Bungie has said that they wouldn't have a raid and have tried to make up for that with PoE AND ToO.

The only reason I'm directly comparing PoE to the raids is because that's the roll it now fills in Destiny's end game PvE content. I don't think it's fair to demand the same things from both modes either, but that's exactly what Bungie has done.

What if for the next expansion, Bungie releases end game PvE content that wasn't a raid or PoE? Will you compare it to a Raid? or a Raid and PoE? Just because raids came first, doesn't mean they are the standard that all PvE end game content should be held by. Bungie couldn't get a raid out the door. What they could get out the door was PoE and ToO, both end game content. You just can't compare them.

I don't think PoE has lived up to my standards, but I also think that the beauty of PoE is it's ability to evolve in months to come. Not just the randomness week from week. Raids aren't going to get bigger, more sections added to it, different loot drops. PoE can evolve well beyond any raid. That is what I'm looking forward to.

I have full faith in Bungie to tweak and improve PoE as time goes on. The problem as I see it is that high level PoE is currently awful (I enjoy level 28 for what it is; casual, chaotic fun... similar to the strike playlists). Bungie needs to make Herculean efforts just to make PoE half as interesting and engaging as Raids are at the top level. The idea that we're stuck with PoE as our primary way to progress until Comet is quite depressing to me :(

I understand that PoE isn't what you expected. But from what it sounds like, you were expecting an experience similar to a raid. And if there is one thing I've learned about bungie, they don't do what you expect. And most of then time it take a little getting use to, but ultimately I think they make the right choice. Not a 100% of the time for a single user, but overall. And again, no company is perfect.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread