Why do you disagree? (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 14:21 (3262 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'm of the opinion that loot systems need to account for outliers and include a raid loot counter that guarantees rewards every X raids in order to correct for the possibility of RNG-screwage.

I can't disagree with this enough.

Random is random.

- M

Why do you disagree? I'd really appreciate hearing some counterpoint.

I believe random is not a good reward system because - due to probability and statistics - there will be outliers who are never rewarded by that system. I feel like a good rewards system has (at the very least) checks in place to make sure that those outliers who are RNG screwed still get a reward at least some of the time so as to keep them feeling like the game is rewarding them.

Random is like saying "Hey guys, I designed our reward system! It's got a chance that no one gets anything, ever!" That's lame, and putting a couple of counters in for how many activities have been run since last loot to prevent that seems trivial

First, that's a lie about someone not getting anything, ever--many activities guarantee something--but you seem incapable of expressing yourself without hyperbole. The game provides the means for the most unlucky person to procure most of what they need to keep up with everyone else. I can't count the number of times I've had something drop for me shortly after I purchased said item. You treat RNG like it's the end all. RNG is an element of the game, but it's not the whole game.

You want the game not to have the random element, and I want to say that you want a different game, and you should find that game and go play it.

I like the RNG. It's exciting. I treat everything I get from it as a bonus. I might not get what I was hoping for, but you know, life doesn't work that way either.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread