Technically... (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, May 29, 2015, 09:34 (3261 days ago) @ someotherguy

That doesn't automatically change it from a statement of fact to a statement if opinion. If someone trusts his opinion enough to believe it to be true (in the absence of their own knowledge), it's contextually factual (at least legally).

But I know what you mean and agree. I'm just being Super Pedant (the world's worst superhero) because I like teaching people new things.

Also I dont know if its true in America. So I might have just forced some obscure English legal technicality on you all. Yay Super Pedant!

Hold up there, caped crusader.

I don't know how it is in the U.K. and Canada, but in the U.S. of A. when I say "I think" I'm identifying what follows as my own thoughts. If I were absolutely sure what I was saying was factual irrespective of my own thoughts, it would be completely superfluous to say "I think" (e.g. "I think birds fly).

As far as I'm concerned, Cruel identified his thesis as opinion in the title of the OP. Because his opinion was dramatically stated (and arguably premature?) he got pushback and over the course of this cursed thread got lumped in with the several others around here who wield their ethereal (and often wrong-headed) opinions as if they were factual, hard-hitting nunchucks.

That's kind of a shame in that he's one of the most thoughtful, articulate, and reasonable voices on DBO.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread