Simply put, you're not quite right. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 15:44 (3261 days ago) @ Kahzgul

But I don't count the grimoire cards as "backstory" in the game because they are not actually a part of the game. I know I'm in the minority here, but things like the Halo books I don't count as part of the Halo games (though they are in the Halo universe and are part of the cannon), and the grimoire cards are similar to me. Someone wrote some good stuff there, but none of it is actually in the game, despite being unlocked through gameplay.

I kind of agree with you in that I tend to fall into the game is canon camp. I enjoyed the Fall of Reach before Halo came out, but I considered the game to be the sacred text whereas the books were a "possible history." The fact that the Grimoire cards are unlocked in the game though changes that dynamic for me. It's not really expanded universe material anymore. It *is* backstory, and more of it is included in HoW than ever. The quotations you see when you accept quests? If I'm not mistaken they come from the Grimoire cards. I've made a point of reading the cards as they unlock this time, and as a result, the Destiny story is much more satisfying than it's ever been.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread