Actually they did (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 23:11 (3074 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bungie promised weekly content updates.

Remember Queen's Wrath? Just the first of many events like that they had planned, right?

Destiny has been a game about over promising and under delivering when it comes to scope, story, and content. But it did deliver fun in spades, and that's pretty significant. I wish I didn't have to actively remind myself that some activities I don't enjoy do not *need* to be completed, but not every dish is for every customer, am I right?

There were three things that led me to expect too much, and it could have been avoided.

1. The concept art leak showing tons and tons of spaces.
2. Vidocs promising we could explore the whole solar system. Combined with the concept art leak, this made the scope seem massive.
3. The alpha was said to be 3-5% of the final game by Bungie. It was closer to 20%.

Given all of that, I was truly expecting multiple patrol spaces per planet, and to go to Jupiter's moons, Saturn, etc. I wasn't the only one. I remember the announcement of one patrol space per planet was met with surprise and worry by many.

Number three is particularly egregious, because that was misleading, and a borderline falsehood. I get that Bungie can't control leaks, but they made no effort whatsoever to temper expectations and say "hey, this is all concept art, not all these places are planned for launch". When they said I could go to Saturn, they did not qualify that with "eventually".

Where did Bungie say that thing about 3-5% again? A press release? A ViDoc? A weekly update? An in game event dialog box? No. More like it was like a private comment made solely to you or something like that, wasn't it? If you want to talk about being misleading, you're ground zero. Your statement is misleading because "Bungie" didn't say that. Not publicly. Certainly not officially.

As for the other stuff... I think it was GDC 2013 where Staten said that Bungie had produced more concept art for Destiny than they had for all their other games combined. Why does the answer have to be they mislead people? Why can't it be they made concept art of places that never made it to production, that maybe were never meant to make it to production, but still showed off the world of Destiny in insightful ways? And the ViDocs... you've been posting about Bungie lying on and off again for like three years now based on a single sentence. And now you keep on calling them liars even after that sentence has come to pass! It's pathetic.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread