Actually they did (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 23:53 (3074 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Bungie promised weekly content updates.

Remember Queen's Wrath? Just the first of many events like that they had planned, right?

Destiny has been a game about over promising and under delivering when it comes to scope, story, and content. But it did deliver fun in spades, and that's pretty significant. I wish I didn't have to actively remind myself that some activities I don't enjoy do not *need* to be completed, but not every dish is for every customer, am I right?

There were three things that led me to expect too much, and it could have been avoided.

1. The concept art leak showing tons and tons of spaces.
2. Vidocs promising we could explore the whole solar system. Combined with the concept art leak, this made the scope seem massive.
3. The alpha was said to be 3-5% of the final game by Bungie. It was closer to 20%.

Given all of that, I was truly expecting multiple patrol spaces per planet, and to go to Jupiter's moons, Saturn, etc. I wasn't the only one. I remember the announcement of one patrol space per planet was met with surprise and worry by many.

Number three is particularly egregious, because that was misleading, and a borderline falsehood. I get that Bungie can't control leaks, but they made no effort whatsoever to temper expectations and say "hey, this is all concept art, not all these places are planned for launch". When they said I could go to Saturn, they did not qualify that with "eventually".

I agree. The marketing was so hyped and so good at insinuating the scale of the game. "If you see mountains in the distance, you can go there" made me salivate when I heard it, but it was simply a lie. Saturn, Old Chicago... More of the same.

The statement about the mountains wasn't marketing. Unless I'm wrong, it wasn't even said more than once. It wasn't part of the presentation script. And making Bethesda sized playable areas certainly was never, ever part the Destiny gameplan. One wonders why you and others cling to it so strongly.

Saturn wasn't a lie. Jason Jones even talked about a ship in orbit of Saturn being a playable space in a issue of Game Informer of around that time. The obvious answer, to those without an agenda at least, is that it was either always planned for later or it got pushed back due to development troubles. Lying doesn't even enter the equation with some many much more plausible answers floating about.

And Old Chicago? It was a piece of concept art released among like a dozen or two dozen other pieces of concept art. It was later described as illustrating the way Destiny's world was even if we wouldn't be going to any time soon if ever. It wasn't even the only location shown that we didn't go to. I can count three more off the top of my head. Did Bungie lie about those too?! Get real.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread