Inexperience

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 25, 2013, 05:14 (3933 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

Another thing I'm concerned about is Bungie's relative inexperience in the MMO field. When Blizzard released World of Warcraft they blew all the other competition out of the water, but if you compare WoW then to now, it's a completely different beast. Nearly nine years of constant iteration, improvement and an uncompromising willingness to throw away what didn't work in the name of making a better game has helped keep WoW the king of the PC MMO scene.

But Blizzard didn't get there overnight, and when WoW launched it was almost farcical. Bugs and server capacity issues were all over the place, and it took a while for things to stabilise. I'd say their main advantage over almost all the competition out there is their experienced staff of developers who've been able to draw on what they've learned from billions of play-hours. Bungie has similar levels of experience in FPS games, but just how much talent and experience they've been able to recruit to help with the bits outside of their comfort zone remains to be seen. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic, but I would most certainly not be surprised if Destiny has a few bumps in the road immediately post-launch.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread