Singleplayer Experience

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 25, 2013, 05:30 (3934 days ago) @ kapowaz

Depending on my mood, I'm somewhat of a lone wolf, even in ostensibly MMO games. There's definitely something to be said for the setting of massive game universes like World of Warcraft and EVE Online even if you don't want to join in with the multiplayer aspects. EVE in particular would feel like a very boring and dull world if it wasn't inhabited by other players, but the actual behaviour of most players and the primary multiplayer activities aren't things that interest me much (and in some cases, I'd rather avoid them). So I'm definitely wary of just how mandatory the multiplayer aspect of Destiny will be. Will I feel obliged to hook up a headset and chat when I'm actually in that frame of mind where I just want to unwind after a hard day's work? I'm hoping not.

I feel like they won't be forcing you. You'll probably be able to set different fireteam settings like "Friends Only" so randoms don't all of a sudden pop into your fireteam right as you're about to dive into the wall to fight Rixis.

At that point you'll go in there be able to enjoy lone-wolfing it through that area. When you pop out the other side of the wall and a public event starts up, you shouldn't feel obligated to interact with the players engaging in the event, you can just run on by continuing on your guardian's adventure.

It's a good worry though. I'm definitely not always in the mood to hang out with a bunch of randoms, that sometimes requires a lot of patience when all I'm trying to do is light up some enemies.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread