What's Your Biggest Worry?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, July 25, 2013, 21:46 (3933 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

I worry that there aren't going to be moments like the ones I've conceived of in the shared world sense, given that the technology and large chunks of the methodology already exist. I've got faith that the FPS combat and loot systems and mystery are all being worked and are in the best hands.

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a few small assumptions about PvP games, that we'll see much the same team sizes as we're used to seeing used: 4v4, 8v8, 2v2v2v2, etc.

But what I want to see on the PvE side are the type of large scale encounters we saw in Reach (but hopefully exceeding 16 players); fire teams mounting up in various configurations of vehicles, basically small raiding parties. And while I thought the Devil Walker public event was really cool, we saw the actual combat turn into a kind of pinata beatdown. I'm hoping for slightly more dynamic experiences than that, and I'm sure Bungie is packing some roomy sleeves in which to hide all sorts of tricks.

The potential for large set-piece encounters to become rolling firefights or extended guerilla cat-and-mouse engagements seems too cool of an idea to pass up. Why script dialogue between a merry band of characters mid-mission when you and other fire teams provide that experience and camraderie? And if emergent gameplay is at all something they're designing with a mind towards, then coordinating operations between fire teams across a large playspace is going to factor in heavily at some point. I hear all the assurances of different things to do and a little something-for-everyone, and I like the sound of that, but I wonder if there's a room at the Wonka factory that's just right for me.

~M

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread