Episode 1 (Fan Creations)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, January 16, 2023, 09:17 (466 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The story hinges upon Joel failing with his biological daughter, and thus taking care of Ellie as an adopted daughter for redemption. But it just doesn't work if his daughter was adopted too… it's not really a second chance, it's not Joel desperately trying to make peace. It'd be just a redo. Further, children can just happen, so not being a great father but trying to after you realize that to your biological child, is shitty but at least admirable and I think people would root for you. But if you failed your adopted child? Well you chose it, so you're just a piece of shit.

As both an adopted kid and a parent of an adopted kid, I'm really uncomfortable with your distinction between adopted and bio kids. (I have both... I can tell you that for me, there isn't a difference in how responsible for them I feel, or how much I love them... or how I'd feel if I got the chance to take care of another kid if they were all dead in horrible circumstances. And while I don't know my bio parents, I don't have any feelings for them - I don't hate them for giving me up, I don't love them for the blood ties. I don't know them at all, and that doesn't bother me.)

I never finished the game (we've talked about this), but I didn't get ANY of what you described from playing the beginning. I think that whatever lens you're viewing this through is pretty highly affected by your own personal beliefs in a way that doesn't resonate outside your own head. (At least, it doesn't resonate for me, at all.)

I haven't seen the first episode yet.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread