The Finale (Fan Creations)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 13, 2023, 10:40 (403 days ago) @ Kermit

As regards the show, what ultimately matters is how effective it was as a show, and I think the consensus is that it was very effective.

There are many major outlets criticizing the ending today. I don't think your statement is necessarily correct.

They don't care. They like the show, and the show is what they know. And they'll never experience the game. There's a gap between gamers and non-gamers, and I felt it intensely after playing The Last of Us. Here was this great story, and I had so many story-loving friends who could never experience it. Now they have experienced a form of it, and they seem grateful. I am, too.

The person I quoted had a very bad experience with the finale. I told her what playing the game was like, and she said "Yeah, I did not get that feeling at all watching this. It was just weird." And she was on board and invested into the show up to this point.

But you NEED to compare it to the game. Due to the nature of AAA game to film adaptation itself. Remember, the move doesn't give you any new tools in your creative arsenal to tell the story with; it only removes them. It's not like a book to movie where the experience is so different it's not comparable. When you do this, you are saying "This story would have been better as an 8 hour cutscene", and so you have to actually see if that choice was valid.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread