Episode 3 (Fan Creations)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 31, 2023, 20:15 (444 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In all seriousness, it’s a weird time capsule, right? The association of the Gadsden flag has changed so much recently. You have to remember the outbreak was in 2003, so it doesn’t necessarily carry the same baggage as it does now.

Wikipedia says the modern usage of the flag came about in the 1970s. So in 2003, I think its indication is similar. He wasn’t a LITERAL Trumper, but he embodied the same spirit.

The flag always been popular among libertarians, and it's been co-opted by diverse movements at different times based on opposition to what the current government is doing. I said I disagree with your interpretations, and based on the evidence in the show, I could make a strong case that Bill is a hard-core libertarian, probably not a fan of the Bushes' New World Order ideology, and Frank is a gay Republican, who finds Bill's Bush-Hitler rhetoric tiresome. I'm not saying this is the correct interpretation, but good writing allows many, and at least I'm considering the timeframe.

As a general matter, do we have to assume we know so much about someone based on such incomplete information? Must even fictional characters be pigeonholed? Must we claim we have their number? I think people are pretty freaking complicated (I am, and why would I assume others aren't?), and I love when fictional characters are complicated. I certainly think that in the Last of Us world, many of the things we obsess over in this 2023 would fall by the wayside.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread