Episode 5 (Fan Creations)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 20, 2023, 10:30 (425 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kermit, Monday, February 20, 2023, 10:45

I feel like the Hunters’ subplot was a waste of time. It didn’t really do anything. Okay, she’s mad that Henry ratted on her brother. Who cares? She’s leading people and their default state is one in which they attack two travelers they don’t know, and not in defense.

I agree with CheapLEY. It's fine to humanize your villains, but they did enough of that just before Joel finishes off the first hunter. I hated the Kathleen character, not just because her character was despicable, but her character added nothing except hamfisted foreshadowing, which wasn't necessary. You shouldn't humanize your villains just for the sake of it, nor should you cast against type for the sake of it. It wasn't revelatory in any way to have a sociopathic kindergarden teacher.

Because they wanted to set up and foreshadow what Joel is about to do with Ellie. Like… Henry killing the leader to get the medicine for Sam is basically a lite version of Joel killing everyone to save Ellie. Which I dunno, kinda would make it less impactful when that does actually happen. Because you know, instead of it being this shocking unique choice, it's just what Henry did before but bigger in scope.

Yeah, I fear that by the time it happens, it will be completely predictable. Despite its flaws, episode 5 was my favorite so far. Still mulling over ep. 6, which made Joel weaker than I thought he had to be. I do think they did a pretty good job of moving the plot along, and deepening the Joel and Ellie relationship.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread