Episode 1 (Fan Creations)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 16, 2023, 14:04 (437 days ago) @ Cody Miller

but I remember it being crystal clear in the opening he wasn't there for her, and he's currently doing his best to make things right.

Sure, I won’t disagree with that. But being a single parent and having to work all the time to put food on the table doesn’t make him
a shitty dad. I remember being sad at the situation but seeing pretty clearly that he loves his daughter but also sometimes life sucks and you do what you have to make ends meet.

But why was he single and put her in that position? Why did his wife leave? He made mistakes.

Your entire take on her race and adoption in general is really, really weird.

I honestly don't see any of what you do here.

Even in the original game, all evidence, from the pictures, to the birthday card, to the conversations that Joel has with Ellie, it all points to Joel having been a great father who went the extra mile to make sure Sarah had opportunities in life that many kids who have both parents don't get (why she still turned to selling hardcore drugs is anyone's guess).

And while there was an official outside-the-game explanation about Sarah's mom (Word of God is she abandoned them shortly after Sarah was born, likely PPD, possibly some other reason), I never wondered it once when I first played the game. Even thinking about it now, for a single dad to retain sole custody of a child, a girl at that? Not indicative of someone who "made mistakes".

Especially once we consider just how far Joel will go to protect his daughter...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread