A way Destiny excites me

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 02:45 (4038 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bungie has always been good about creating universes and backstory. In my opinion Bungie hasn't been so good lately on the narrative portion, but there is imagination and fun stuff to explore in the settings.

I really get the sense that Destiny won't have a straightforward narrative because of the design of the game. As such, I think exploring the universe is going to be right at the front of things to do. And that is absolutely perfect for video games. I remember finding tons of secret terminals in Marathon, and going places I shouldn't and finding out a lot of behind the scenes stuff in Deus Ex. That kind of thing you can't really do in other mediums. It's not a narrative; it's exploration of a setting.

Maybe my sense is wrong, but if that is the direction Bungie heads, I cannot see it being anything but enjoyable.

Hard to tell. What we've heard of so far smacks of player-driven, emergent narrative. If factions in Destiny work like player factions in Eve Online, that might be one source of narrative conflict.

I see where you're going with that.. but then again, I wonder what Joe and Marty would do without traditional cinematic cutscenes :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread