A way Destiny excites me

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 19:14 (4029 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by General Vagueness, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 20:01

Huh? If you could correct for not having a badass surround sound system, why would anyone need or want a badass surround system?

so they could have surround sound? so they could brag about it?

Things like brightness, contrast, equalizer settings and so on provide a different level of control than controlling a mix. You're adjusting to account for differences in equipment and settings, as you said, with the ideal being hearing and seeing what the creators intended you to see and hear.

That's the same thing we're talking about here.

That's why high-end audio/visual dealers have experts who come to your house with reference equipment and so on. They calibrate and adjust your setup so that it delivers something closer to this ideal that the creators intended.

Firstly, I don't have the money for high-end audio/visual anything, let alone that and having people come out to set it up for me, and secondly, because I doubt everything is going to be working from the same reference equipment and setup, will they come out and do that every time I play a different game or watch a different movie or change the channel on the TV?

Finally, if you have no problem with the default settings, you can leave them alone. You literally cannot suffer from the inclusion of these options, but there are people who are affected negatively by their exclusion.

It's a small group that's negatively affected. These options give the impression that these things should be adjusted, and many people will adjust them just because they can, which could lead to a lot of people having a suboptimal experience of the game.

They don't give the impression they should be adjusted, at least not to me or a whole lot of other people. I thought it was common knowledge most people don't adjust things like that. So you're OK with a small group of people being negatively affected by not having these settings available, but you're not OK with a small group of people being negatively affected by having these settings be available?

You're missing out on some great stuff, but the game is still the game.

Debatable. You said "I'm not arguing that the music isn't part of the game." Good. I think it is, too. You mentioned paintings. You paint your masterpiece, and some dude comes up and says, "I like the left corner. Just give me the left corner." You have every right to say, "No, thanks. It is what it is. It's fine if you don't like it. Others will. I painted this for them." You have no obligation to accommodate said dude.

Yeah, but in the real world if the painter or painting is well-known that guy will fairly easily be able to get a copy of just that corner framed on his wall, and no one will probably try to stop him and tell him he's messing up the artist's vision. I mean heck, what about this? I doubt a lot of what you see on the first pages of results is what da Vinci had in mind, but I think if he somehow knew what people made of his work he wouldn't really mind, or at least he wouldn't be mad.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread