A way Destiny excites me

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Friday, March 15, 2013, 06:42 (4060 days ago) @ narcogen

What? There is zero cost to including this. Audio control is inherently built into the game, they just don't let you change it. This is not expensive or time consuming to include.

2) That is a subjective statement. My experience with XCOM is not worse because I mute their music to listen to Pandora. It actually helps me get more into the game, because that's the kind of stuff I'd have in the background if I were sitting in an armchair ordering operatives to fight space aliens. It may be a different experience from what Firaxis intended, but so what? That's the nature of art: the intent of the creator has absolutely nothing to do with the experience had by the consumer.

And . . . "slippery slope?" Really? Y'know, Cody was exaggerating when he said that it's ridiculous the Halo games don't have this option, but you are most definitely exaggerating how serious it is. It is a fairly standard option. I guarantee you that the number of games which include such options outnumber the number which do not. I also guarantee you that the games which include the option have a variety of other features which make them more appealing to someone who's trying to get the most optimal experience. There's no slope here; it's already happened, and nothing bad came of it.

Also, while the player does not directly control the music, there are games (and this seems, to me, to be the most effective use of audio) where the music changes based on the player's movements and actions. If you enter combat, you have one type of music. If you're exploring, it will fade into another score. It's as close to interactive as you can get without the player actually creating the score (and those games exist, too).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread