A way Destiny excites me

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 12:01 (4026 days ago) @ nico

Agreed -- I might just say a way Destiny excites me is that it's a new Bungie franchise. I like to think of the company like I think of Miles Davis -- he was someone who periodically revolutionized his art form and then set the bar for others to emulate.

Marathon had a deep story, Myth had a deep story. Both had absolutely tangible emotional content, in part because of the spectacular writing and universe creation, in part because there was true artistry with the narrative.

The real thing that excites me about Destiny is that Bungie is a company that has, in the past (I'm thinking of Myth here), never shrunk away from taking risks when it came to something the company believed in, and that's what innovation is all about.

The Miles Davis analogy is fitting. In music there are those artists who, though I'm never quite sure what they're going to do next, you can bet your ass I'm going to be there to hear it because no matter how much they've changed or what direction they've decided to take, I know it's going to be a wild ride. All I know is that Bungie's next album is going to be fucking killer.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread