A way Destiny excites me

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 15, 2013, 19:06 (4058 days ago) @ RC

You seriously don't see a difference between a fixed piece of art, and a game you're supposed to play / use / interact with?

Not with regard to audio mix, no. The audio is not an interactive portion.

Actually it is.

No, it's not. Don't confuse getting a response from a your stimulus with being able to control the response from your stimulus.

This is seriously bemusing. Tell me: why do people explicitly write music they call interactive for games?

Have they? I haven't heard that. I've heard Marty call his music dynamic. That's a different word with a different meaning.

If you're saying it's only reactive, that would deny the effect that audio has on the player and therefore it's emotional and artistic power, no?

I don't think you understood what I was saying. Admittedly, my last post was lacking in explanation as much as yours was.

Unless you've got some definition of interactivity that I am unaware of.

Or maybe it's the other way around.

Marty designs the audio so that you step across a threshold (stimulus) and the music swells (response). The audio is dynamic, like thousands of other things in the game, such as lighting, shadows, animations--way too many things to list. You can't affect these things, so they aren't interactive, but they are dynamic.

If the audio had the sliders you want, it would be interactive, but it doesn't, so it's not.

I seriously don't get this. I'm thinking I should just give up on this conversation...

I get both sides. I can't explain why some don't.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread