A way Destiny excites me

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 09:31 (4033 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Leisandir, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 09:35

But why exclude audio? The user is left in control of virtually every other technical detail. As I said, we have the ability to adjust brightness and contrast, which are the visual equivalent to adjusting audio levels. We can change the controller layout (I'd argue that's aesthetic. Pulling a trigger to fire a gun is waaaaay different than pressing A; that's part of why the Metroid Prime series feels different from Halo). Us PC users can change the graphical fidelity. Hell, we can even introduce content the developer never intended; I can play the original Deus Ex with extremely high-definition textures that were made by users years after the game's release. I can play missions in Half Life that have nothing to do with Gordon or the Combine. That's getting left-field, though. I can't figure out why this is a point of contention. It's no different than any other control we've had since forever. Hell, the original Doom let us independently adjust the volume of the music and the action.

This is like arguing over what kind of lighting is proper for viewing art. The curator's got one idea, the rich guy who sets it in his living room has another, and the fellow who's just looking at Google images can see all of them.

I do apologize, though, I saw the David post and did not look to the author, and so misattributed it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread