A way Destiny excites me

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, March 17, 2013, 06:53 (4056 days ago) @ General Vagueness

As I said, we have the ability to adjust brightness and contrast, which are the visual equivalent to adjusting audio levels.

No, it's not the visual equivalent.

Well, what would be then? Seriously, I'm curious what you think would be equivalent.

I've stayed out of this discussion, because it seems like the two sides are arguing about totally different things, but this seems like a pretty straightforward question.

You already HAVE the audio equivalent of brightness and contrast for any game you want - just mess with the bass or treble, or whatever. That's not what the 'Audio Mix' is talking about, though - it's talking about relative volume levels of different pieces of the total audio output. It would be like a visual 'Brighten Humans' button on your TV - which doesn't exist. (Yes, you used to have RGB controls on your TV - but that was to compensate for faulty cathode ray tubes; those controls no longer exist on LCD or plasma TVs.)

You're asking the game developer to give you control over WHICH PIECE OF AUDIO you hear - and that's not something they're required to do, and it's not something you have in other realms. (I guess there's nothing wrong with wanting it - but all of the arguments that it's just the equivalent of buttons you already have for visual adjustments are based on faulty analogies.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread