Some clarification.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 17:59 (3988 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that whatever platform on which we prefer to play Destiny, it would help, at least while the franchise is in its infancy, to have a common place we could go as a community to connect within the game. So while I might primarily play the Xbox 360 version of Destiny and therefore also have an Xbox LIVE Gold account, person B might primarily play on the Xbox One which is incompatible, and person C might play on the PS4 and have a 360 but not have a Gold account. By the time Destiny releases, it would be possible for us all to play and chat together on the PS3 version for no more than a couple hundred bucks a piece from scratch. It's a backup plan for finding common ground in a splintered community. It is the lowest cost starting point for playing Destiny that includes the PS3 newcomers we will soon welcome into the Bungie family.

Hopefully Bungie can work out cross-platform play for the sequels. PS3 <-> PS4 network play would also make Destiny on PS a better choice, IMO.

That's a hard sale. I heartily welcome PS3 newcomers, but the fact is that very few of us is starting from zero, which is what your argument is based on. I'm sure Pete's right. The vast majority here are 360 owners. Many of us have large libraries of 360 games. The vast majority already have a social network on the 360 (including each other). The Gold account is paid for. I, for one, pick up a year sub just about every time they go on sale. Less than $4 per month is a cheaper than a meal at McDonald's. The lowest cost starting point for the majority here is to stick with what they have, and that would also enable us to play together. There's also this: if I am going to have two consoles, I want one of them to be a next-generation model. Considering all these factors, buying a different system on its last legs to play a game I can already play on what I have makes no sense.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread