Some clarification.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 20:15 (3990 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

That's a hard sale. I heartily welcome PS3 newcomers, but the fact is that very few of us is starting from zero, which is what your argument is based on.

I realize few are starting from zero; many already have a PS3.

And many more don't. I recognize most of the names here from HBO, so I'm pretty certain most have a 360. I'm sure many of those have a PS3, too, but the majority don't.

Personally, I can't justify paying Microsoft any longer for Xbox LIVE to play Bungie's games online when there is a free alternative now.

I respect your personal preference, but it is just that. You made an argument about the most community-friendly console. Others in the community wouldn't make the same calculation. For instance, they may like other games, or older Bungie games, and still want to play them online.

I submit that the PS3 is the least community-friendly console for Destiny and it always will be. I'm sure Bungie is going to a do a kickass job of building up their playstation fan base, but they've barely had a presence there before, and their Xbox fanbase has had a ten-year head start. When you consider that a number of current PS3 gamers are going to upgrade to a PS4, between the four platforms we know about, the PS3 is almost certain to have the smallest number of Destiny players, and that number will get smaller over time.

I know much of my social network on LIVE is ready to go PS4 and dislike what Microsoft is doing with Halo.

Exactly. I don't recall hearing anyone in this community talk about buying a PS3 so they could play it. Everyone's talking nextgen. That's where the interest is.

The PS4 might end up being the community-friendly choice, but the PS3? No. It just doesn't add up.

Kermit

P.S. I have nothing against the PS3.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread