Backwards Compatibility

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, May 24, 2013, 05:57 (3962 days ago) @ Xenos

Definitely don't disagree that backwards compatibility should be a bigger priority for both Microsoft and Sony, but it is a little tougher to emulate the 360 then past consoles, one major reason being because it is built upon PowerPC. Remember people trying to get Windows games running on Mac before the Intel days? Or even worse, the crappy Mac emulators for PC? If I remember right the fastest they could get Mac emulation running on Windows was 15x slower. Anyway, my main point is I think it would probably cost more than pennies per unit. I still think they could do it, but I'd personally prefer them to focus on making the console and platform better. Whether they do/did that remains to be seen...

Yup!

Which is sort of what I'm getting at. If the PPC-based 360 was able to much more easily emulate the x86 Xbox that was only a few years old, but the x86 based Xbone cannot emulate the nearly nine year old PPC-based 360... then perhaps both platforms are cheaping out now on their architecture.

I can see why they would not do it, but for me, at this moment, there are no exclusives I'm that interested in. It'd be a no brainer to go for Destiny on the Xbone if it also played all the games I already had, protecting them from the fragility and unreliability of the 360.

Now-- at BEST-- it's a tossup. The recent event so far indicates to me that Microsoft is spending most of their energy and investment on features I don't care about-- although to be fair, that has been true for awhile, and is the reason why my consoles are now set to boot to the disc and not the dash. Which presumably won't even work on the Xbone since games have to be installed. That way they will be sure that no one can do anything on the console without seeing at least one ad!

So I can get Destiny for my 360 assuming it doesn't fail in the next year, but after that... well, I'm hoping for a Mac or PC release, and if not, I may be taking a PS4 for a spin at some point.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread