One Other Thing... (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 05, 2017, 19:25 (2661 days ago) @ dogcow

Why do you think you have a right to see how the sausage is made? And (to look at it from the other side) what could Bungie POSSIBLY gain by providing that information? For a tiny, tiny fraction of their fanbase (you, me, another thousand people), it makes them more relatable as people. For EVERYONE ELSE, it introduces doubt into the quality of the final product. It's one thing to look back on the development of a successful product and say "these are the things that MIGHT have killed us." It's another thing altogether (and a stupid thing, from the standpoint of selling your product) to say "hey, we fucked up bigtime, and we're gonna do our best to fix it, but this mistake has the potential to kill us as a company." Why would you think they'd even CONSIDER saying something like that?

I think I agree with what you're saying. I think postmortem (post-shippings?), are great for fans of a company and good for the company. It helps us appreciate what we got and understand the difficulties in bringing it about. I think if more of these things happened it might help temper gamer's whiny entitled attitudes (or maybe not). But talking about these before a solution is found or before the game is shipped isn't a good idea, for reasons you outlined.

The problem is that you may reveal information unintentionally that can alter people's future expectations. Rightly, or wrongly.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread